Mount Carmel Area School District is located in southern Northumberland County which is part of the anthracite coal regions of central Pennsylvania. Currently the campus is located on West Fifth Street in the borough of Mount Carmel. The inaugural class graduated from Mount Carmel High School in 1888. In 1951 Mount Carmel joined with Mount Carmel Township and added the communities of Atlas, Centralia, Locust Gap, Natalie and Strong to the district. In 1963 Mount Carmel became Mount Carmel Area after a jointure with neighboring Kulpmont High School. At that time the borough of Marion Heights also became part of the district. The school system serves approximately 1650 students in the elementary and junior/ senior high schools. The facilities are located adjacent to each other on the main campus.
"... It is the vision of the Mount Carmel Area Educational Community to create a safe learning environment that nurtures the intellectual, social, emotional, and physical well-being of each child.