The Board recognizes every student’s right to freedom of expression in speech, written or oral, as that right is guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and the Supreme Court.
The Board also recognizes its obligation to provide schools where the health, safety and welfare of the students who attend our schools are given paramount consideration and where a positive learning environment must be maintained.
The Board is aware of its obligation to make every effort to minimize the opportunities for student disruption and/or distraction in the school.
The Board believes that a standard dress code policy will address issues related to the health, safety and welfare of the students and the maintenance of a positive learning environment.
The district, by the authority granted to it under the law, hereby immediately imposes a standard dress code policy for grades K-12 for all district students.
The administration reserves the right to amend the dress code for clothing styles that become trends which are associated with anti-social behavior or have a disruptive influence.
During instructional school hours and at any school-sponsored event on or off school property, no student shall wear any apparel or jewelry that by words, signs, pictures or combination thereof appearing on said clothing or jewelry advocates or promotes sexual activity, violence, or the use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs, or demeans, or degrades another because of race, sex, religious persuasion, national origin, handicap or disability.
The Board is cognizant of the diversity of the students within the school district. Certain students may have a religious preference which precludes the adherence to the standard dress code policy and the parents/guardians are directed to inform the school administration and accommodation will be made accordingly. Any parent/ guardian whose children may suffer as a result of economic hardship is directed to advise the school principal and such cases will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Students are required to be dressed according to the standard dress code policy. This may be a combination of the following options:
1. Khaki/dark navy, gray, and black slacks (No cargo or baggy style).
2. Khaki/dark navy, gray, or black shorts-approved length (No cargo or baggy style).
3. Any solid color long or short sleeve golf shirt, button down dress shirt, crew neck, V-neck with or without approved school logo (No tank tops).
4. Shoes, sneakers.
5. Approved accessories-sweaters, sweatshirts with or without hoods, turtlenecks, vests, mock turtlenecks, socks – any solid color. Any MCA Logo shirts or sweatshirts of any kind are permitted.
6. Gym clothing: sweatpants, shorts, athletic pants and appropriate shirts. 7. Underclothing is not permitted to be seen through outer clothing.
1. Khaki/dark navy, gray, and black slacks/capri pants (No cargo, baggy style, or low- rise).
2. Khaki/dark navy, gray, and black shorts – approved length, no more than four (4) inches above the knee. (No cargo or baggy style).
3. Any solid color long or short sleeve golf shirt, dress blouse, crew neck shirt, v- neck shirt with or without approved school logo. (No tank tops, or midriff shirts that expose the skin).
4. Shoes, sneakers, coordinated socks.
5. Skorts, skirts, dresses, and jumpers, in khaki, dark navy blue, gray, or black must be no more than 4 inches above the knee.
6. Approved accessories – sweaters, sweatshirts with or without hoods, turtlenecks, vests or mock turtlenecks, socks, tights, stockings, or leggings with or without school logo. Any MCA Logo shirts or sweatshirts of any kind are permitted.
7. Gym clothing – sweatpants, shorts, wind pants, appropriate shirts.
8. Underclothing is not permitted to be seen through outer clothing.
1. Clothing must be of proper fit, not to exceed one (1) size beyond correct size. Hats, bandannas, headbands, gloves, chains and belts with protruding pointed studs, are not permitted. Studded jewelry or studded accessories of any kind are prohibited.
2. Mutilation, i.e., purposely cutting holes or tearing clothing is prohibited.
3. Jeans of any color are not permitted.
4. Jeans are not permitted on gym days.
5. Corduroy is permitted.
6. Leather clothing is not permitted.
7. No shoulder bags of any shape or size are permitted.
8. Wristlets no more than 5 inches x 8 inches may be carried.
New students entering Mount Carmel Area School District shall be granted a grace period of two weeks before being required to conform to the dress code.
Principals can use their discretion to designate specific days that permit students to wear other types of clothing.