IMPORTANT CHANGES TO NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY INDUCTION REQUIREMENTS
The following is to inform you of the changes being made in regards to the requirements for membership in the Mount Carmel Area Chapter of the National Honor Society. Although you will not be eligible for membership into the National Honor Society until your sophomore year, your cumulative average (GPA) starting next school year, in ninth grade will play a role in your admittance.
Currently the cumulative average requirement for acceptance into the Mount Carmel Area Chapter of the National Honor Society is a truncated 90. However, with the addition of numerous weighted classes, as well as recommendations from the National Honor Society, the average requirement will be increased to a truncated 93.
Currently scholarship is the only measured precept required for acceptance into our society. The National Society, however, has four precepts that should be met for membership, namely, scholarship, leadership, service and character. Therefore, changes will be made to acceptance procedures in order to also take these other characteristics into account.
Eligibility Requirements Summary
In order to actually become a member and be officially inducted into the National Honor Society in 10th grade, a student must meet the scholarship, leadership, service, and character requirements described below:
- must attain a truncated 93 cumulative average at the end of each induction period
- must meet honor roll requirements during induction period (to meet honor roll requirements, student’s report card cannot have any D’s or F’s during any marking period)
- must demonstrate leadership by participating in at least two extracurricular activities (in or out of school)
- must complete at least 20 hours of community service
- must meet character requirements in five faculty evaluations
- must not be involved in any major/repeated discipline issues
Please keep these new requirements in mind as you begin your freshman year in 2016 – 2017. If you have any questions or concerns, please see Mr. or Mrs. Domanski.